Greek Eggs Benedict
6 ounces spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 clove of garlic, grated
Juice from a lemon
2 thin slices of red onion
3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
½ cup of Greek yogurt
½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon of Zatar seasoning (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
White vinegar, as needed
1. Bring a pot with water for poaching your eggs to a boil. Add just enough vinegar to the water to be perceptible.
2. Using a biscuit cutter, stamp out two rounds from each pita, making 4 rounds
3. In a medium saucepan, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sweat the grated garlic for about 30 seconds, then add the spinach leaves. Cook over until the leaves are wilted and soft, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the lemon juice. Season with the zatar and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Heat the last tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Spread the pita circles in the pan, dabbing each in the oil. Top each of them with some of the spinach, feta cheese crumbles and a few raw red onion slices. Crisp the bottom of the pita rounds while the eggs are poaching.
5. Poach the eggs. Right before serving, put a dollop of yogurt on each of the spinach-topped pita circles. Top each with a poached egg and serve.