This product is not currently available.
Nose, palate and pairing: Ripe, delicious blackberry fruit, good structure and plenty of tannins to age for years. Pair with a grilled dry-aged steak, herby new potatoes and greens in a mustard-rich vinaigrette.
The backstory: Winemaker Michael Hirby began Relic in 2001 to make wines using both old and new production methods, including the oldest method of them all, foot stomping the grapes. The Cabernet offering, Artefact, is a result of attention to detail in the vineyards during the 2008 growing season, as the vintage endured stingy rains, extended frost and heat spikes. Although yields were affected, fruit was concentrated and the result is a dense wine that will drink well for the next 15 years.
Varietals: 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Syrah
Nose: Ripe and fruity, with sweet spice, pepper and chocolate notes
Palate: Juicy black fruit, flowers, herbs, pepper, cocoa and full ripe tannins
Appellation: Napa Valley, California
Relic Wine Cellars is the dream of husband and wife Mike Hirby and Schatzi Throckmorton, starting with just three barrels of Pinot Noir and the intent to utilize both ancient and modern winemaking techniques. Their goal is to put their wine passion in a bottle, by making wines that are a natural expression of the vineyard.
When necessary, your wine will be shipped in a temperature-controlled, refrigerated truck to a carrier hub close to you. You will receive tracking information once your wine leaves the carrier hub.
We Love This With
We love ripe, extracted wines like the Artefact served with a pepper-coated steak. The small percentage of Syrah in the bottle adds notes of spicy pepper that are amplified by these three extraordinary peppers from le sanctuaire, a spice purveyor with a cult-folllowing. One of the easiest and most pleasurable ways to serve a steak is just to season, spice, sear and serve.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Relic Winery which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, MN, MO, NC, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, SC, TN, TX, WA, WI
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink now through 2026
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 55 - 65 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.