This product is not currently available.
2008 91 points, Wine Spectator; 93 points, Wine & Spirits
2009 92 points, Best of Year, Wine & Spirits
“Talk about nectar of the gods. Think Ava Gardner in ‘The Barefoot Contessa.’ A deep golden color, much darker than the 2008, with an unmistakable honeyed quality… yet it's ultimately a dry wine with a stony core and a long, reverberating finish.” (2007 vintage)
- Jay McInerney, The Wall Street Journal
Why to buy: Golden in hue, nearly viscous in texture, and full of stone fruits, there’s a reason this Chenin Blanc draws such breathless prose from writers. It is unlike—and superior to—any other in the world. Jancis Robinson of The Financial Times called it “brimfire in a bottle”: It is a wine that commands every sense. Paired with pork chops or skate, a beurre blanc sauce or even grilled sardines, this is simply an incredible wine lover’s vertical.
Characteristics: Chenin Blanc, at its best, is deep golden in color, brimming with peaches and nectar, and even featuring notes of brown butter. These four vintages are the best Chenin Blanc on the market, from the silky, stony, intense ’07 to the lighter, brighter 2010. Note that the yellow hue is the way the wine should look, and that if it seems oxidized at first blush, just wait: Cork it and leave it on the counter, or let it aerate for a bit; it will improve markedly. Pair it with any sort of white meat, intense buttery and white sauces, and fish. It will alter your impression of what a white wine can bring to the table.
Varietals: 100% Chenin Blanc
Appellation: Savennières Coulée de Serrant AOC
The most prestigious producer of chenin blanc in the Loire Valley, Nicolas Joly returned to the fabled Coulée de Serrant in 1977, leaving behind a career in finance. The celebrated vineyard, which comprises its own appellation, was planted in the 1130s.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, IA, ID, IL, KS, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, RI, SC, SD, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.