May 29 2013 - Jun 4 2013
Why to buy: Available only on Gilt Taste, this extremely rare release of collector's edition bottles from Barolo's most historic producer is an unforgettable gift for Dad for Father's Day or a newlywed couple as a wedding present. Celebrating the 2006 vintage, the half-case of limited-edition bottles displays 6 distinct labels. As the centerpiece of any serious Barolo lover's cellar, this investment collection will mature with age and develop in value over time.
Known as "the King of Wines and the Wine for Kings," Barolo is Italy's proudest wine tradition, with its origins deeply rooted in the preferences of Italian nobility. When New York's Eataly tried to lure President Barack Obama to celebrate his 50th birthday with them, they proposed a toast of Borgnogno's 1961 Barolo, the most epic vintage and the year of his birth. (That single bottle alone was retailing for $1,180 at the time.) Throughout Europe, 2006 was a complicated growing season, and only the best houses were able to produce exceptional wines. Borgogno's barolo is known for its ripe, expressive quality with extraordinary structure and balance.
Nose, palate and pairing: Sommeliers often say that Barolo is to Burgundy as Brunello is to Bordeaux (meaning that if you love the powerful layers of complexity in an aged Burgundy, a Barolo with decades in the bottle should be your go-to Italian choice). The 2006 vintage shows gorgeous structured red fruits and powerful earthiness. These wines will continue to develop in complexity and nuance.
Backstory: All wines from this historic house boast impressive resumes. Borgogno was poured at the official dinner celebration of the Italian Unification in 1861, and in 1886, the wines were selected to welcome Czar Nicola II Romanov on his official visit from Russia. Many estates recondition their library wines but Borgogno’s vast collection, which predates the second world war, makes their process unique: after decanting them and removing any sediment, Borgogno tops the bottles of with the same library vintage, whereas most other houses rely on a current release.
Varietals: 100% Nebbiolo
Appellation: Barolo DOCG
Served at some of the most important moments in Italian history, the Barolo from Giacomo Borgogno is backed by centuries of acclaim. Founded in 1761, their library of wines is often called the “museum of Barolo.” The estate farms 20 hectares of world-renowned vineyards in areas like Cannubi, Liste, Fossati and San Pietro.
Once your order has been processed, you will receive an email from Gilt Taste confirming your ship date.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, ID, IL, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.