This product is not currently available.
I still can't believe this wine is such a great value. It is so well made and easily rivals any $30 Malbec. This is my kind of wine - one that I don't feel guilty drinking with a slice of pizza, but that I can easily show off to my friends.
Joy Kull, Gilt Taste Wine Team
Why to buy: Grown high in the Andes, this artisanal Malbec is a winning combo of sophistication and value. Its creator, Domaine Select Wine Estates, was named Food & Wine Magazine's Importer of the Year in 2010.
Nose, palate and pairing: Deep, ruby color. Hints of rum raisin, succulent prunes and coffee on the nose. On the palate, earthier flavors like leather, tobacco and coffee emerge to balance the fruit. An elegant texture and easy tannins make this Malbec more delicate than most. Pair with cured meats and skirt steak.
The backstory: Payana is popular children’s game in Argentina that’s played with five small stones. A player picks up one stone and tosses it in the air, then picks up another and catches the first before it hits the ground. Payana the wine resulted when Paolo Domeneghetti, CEO of Domaine Select Wines, and Andres Ridois, his longtime associate in Argentina, decided to make elegant, value-oriented wines from cooler regions of Mendoza.
Varietals: 100% Malbec
Founded by Paolo Domeneghetti, CEO of Domaine Select Wines, and Andres Ridois, his longtime associate in Argentina, Payana wines are sourced from parcels of old vine Malbec, Torrontes, Bonarda and other Argentine grapes that are grown on the steep slopes of the Andes. These cool climate wines are powerful, graceful and balanced.
Once your order is processed, your wine will be ground shipped to you.
We Love This With
Nothing beats a well-marinated skirt steak and a glass of succulent Malbec. Ask any Argentine and they’ll tell you the two are practically made for each other. Play up the aspects of coffee and prunes in your glass by seasoning the meat with Worcestershire sauce and a splash of wine from the bottle. Then, cook it any way you like. Grilled, sautéed or broiled, as long as you work the marinade, it’s tough to screw up a cut of meat this tasty.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, ID, IL, KS, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, RI, SC, SD, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink now through 2016
- Store at 50 – 60°F
- Serve at 55 - 65 F
- Receive $50 Jetsetter credit, valid on jetsetter.com (excluding Gilt, Gilt Taste, Gilt City and Park & Bond), excluding taxes and service fees, when you spend $150 or more on Gilt Taste's Uncorked Collection between 12pm on July 17, 2012 and 11:59pm on July 27, 2012. Credit will be placed into your account by 11:59pm July 31, 2012 and will be valid through 11:59pm July 31, 2013. Offer may be suspended or terminated at any time. Credit is non-transferable and may only be used by the account holder. Credit cannot be used for Gift card purchases.
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.