This product is not currently available.
91 Points and Year's Best - Wine & Spirits
At Castell'in Villa, it's all about the purity of sangiovese, the grape that has been at the heart of Tuscany for thousands of years. The Principessa turned farmer and winemaker tells her story through her wines. Your first aroma and taste will immediately transport you to this gorgeous hamlet and make you dream of Tuscany.
- Jeffrey Meisel, Gilt Taste Wine Director
Why to buy: Castell’in Villa dates back to the 1200s but remains one of Chianti’s top-quality estates where they hand-harvest grapes and stick to very strict yield guidelines.
Nose, palate and pairing: Cherries and oak on the nose. Clean fruit with delicate florals on the palate. Long with good acidity. This Chianti is on the lighter side and goes well with delicate, herby pastas, seared fish and stewed poultry or roasted pork.
The backstory:As one of the oldest estates in the region, Castell’in Villa adheres to a philosophy where wines are released only when they’ve reached a particular maturity. You’ll never open one of their bottles prematurely. Known for its profound respect for natural evolution of vines, this estate makes wines that are intelligently crafted and age for a long time.
Appellation:Chianti Classico DOCG
Owned and operated by Coralia Pignatelli della Leonessa, this estate skillfully crafts traditional wines from estate-grown, hand-selected fruit. With vineyards that extend over eight different growing sites, wines from this estate reflect the diversity of the soils in the Tuscan countryside.
Once your order is processed, you wine will be ground shipped to you.
We Love This With
A glass of this dry, delicate wine is lovely with a light pasta dish or a pan-seared filet of fish. Marinate the filet with loads of fresh herbs like basil, thyme and oregano and serve with roasted fennel and a farro salad with orange zest, olive oil and wilted spinach.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, ID, IL, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink now through 2015
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 55 - 65 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.