This product is not currently available.
Why to buy: 1999 had all the elements for a perfect year throughout the entire growing season and through the harvest. A great addition to a collection—only 3,000 bottles was released to the U.S. market in October—this wine will absolutely get better with age.
Nose and palate: Cherry red in color with aromas of licorice and dried meats, the palate reveals immense power and precision, and is loaded with fruit and aged balsamic. It has a vibrant acidity and silky tannins.
Backstory: The wines from this historic house boast impressive resumes. Borgogno was poured at the official dinner celebration of the Italian Unification in 1861, and in 1886, the wines were selected to welcome Czar Nicola II Romanov on his official visit from Russia. Many estates recondition their library wines but Borgogno’s vast collection, which predates the second world war, makes their process unique: after decanting them and removing any sediment, Borgogno tops the bottles of with the same library vintage, whereas most other houses rely on a current release.
Appellation: Barolo DOCG
Served at some of the most important moments in Italian history, the Barolo from Giacomo Borgogno is backed by centuries of acclaim. Founded in 1761, their library of wines is often called the “museum of Barolo.” The estate farms 20 hectares of world-renowned vineyards in areas like Cannubi, Liste, Fossati and San Pietro.
Once your order is processed, your wine will be shipped ground.
We Love This With
Since this wine is ready to drink—our wine director, Jeffrey Meisel, calls it “perfect now”—and the holidays are approaching, we say serve it with an impressive, well-marbled steak or show-stopping roast. To accentuate the complexities of this well-developed bottle, roast the meat with your favorite dry rub: Think smoked spices, brown sugar, and loads of kosher salt and black pepper.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, MD, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OH, OR, PA, SD, TN, WA, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink now through 2036
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 55 - 65 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.