May 28 2013 - Jun 3 2013
Why to buy: With incredible power and structure, 1985 was a benchmark year for Barolo. Only 3,000 bottles—all in pristine condition—of this bottle were released to the U.S. market in October.
Nose and palate: Prettily colored a pale, reddish orange with aromas of violets, tar and smoked meats. On the palate, a rigorous, earthy structure underpins plusher notes of primary fruit. The finish is lingering and elegant. This perfect showing will continue through the next two years.
Backstory: The wines from this historic house boast impressive resumes. Borgogno was poured at the official dinner celebration of the Italian Unification in 1861, and in 1886, the wines were selected to welcome Czar Nicola II Romanov on his official visit from Russia. Many estates recondition their library wines but Borgogno’s vast collection, which predates the second world war, makes their process unique: after decanting them and removing any sediment, Borgogno tops the bottles of with the same library vintage, whereas most other houses rely on a current release.
Appellation: Barolo DOCG
Served at some of the most important moments in Italian history, the Barolo from Giacomo Borgogno is backed by centuries of acclaim. Founded in 1761, their library of wines is often called the “museum of Barolo.” The estate farms 20 hectares of world-renowned vineyards in areas like Cannubi, Liste, Fossati and San Pietro.
Once your order is processed, your wine will be shipped ground.
We Love This With
What do you eat when you’re drinking one of the world's best Barolo wines? The good news is—this wine is so delicious—it’s hard to go wrong. Commemorate the occasion of opening an amazing Barolo with a beautiful standing rib roast, crown rack of pork or tomahawk-cut ribeye. Not in the mood to cook? Go for piles of charcuterie, which deliver Piemonte-style flavors—earth, spice and smoke; it will tease out the complexities in this aged, intricate wine.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, MD, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OH, OR, PA, SD, TN, WA, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink now through 2021
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 55 - 65 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.