This product is not currently available.
The first (on the left) is the more traditional, a mix of Nero d’Avola and frappato grapes fermented and matured separately in cement vats. Subsequently, the Nero is matured in wooden casks while the frappato remains in cement. The finished product is a medium-bodied wine with aromas of dark cherries, a touch of anise, and a lingering, seductive finish.
For the Pithos, on the other hand, COS ferments these grapes together in terracotta amphorae casks for six months. This version is bursting with aromatics, with more strawberry and red cherry, spices, and a profound vibrancy.
All the wines at COS have a fresh finish and bright acidity that makes them fabulous partners with Italian—particularly Sicilian—cuisine.
In this collection:
Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2008
Pithos Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2010
In 1980, the winery was founded near the historic Sicilian town of Bastonaca by three friends, whose last names were combined to create the acronym COS. The winery is biodynamic, and one of its most radical methods is to ferment their wines in terracotta amphorae, as they might have done in Ancient Rome.
Once your order is placed, your wine will be shipped for ground delivery.
We Love This With
These wines match the bold flavors of Sicily, such as fennel, eggplant caponata, fish that has some powerful sauces or herbal influence. The Pithos would also be great with sashimi or any any pesce crudo. The original Cerasuolo can handle the heartier fare.
Also, these wines are Jordan Salcito's pick for Thanksgiving dinner. She says, "In Cerasulo di Vittoria, these grapes are blended together to create a nuanced, medium-bodied wine that will match excellently with everything from Turkey to sweet potatoes to cranberry sauce."
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: CT, DC, DE, KS, MI, MN, NJ, NY, RI, VT, WI, WV
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- COS Pithos 2010: Drink now through 2016, Serve at 55 - 65°F
- COS Cerasulo di Vittoria 2008: Drink now through 2016, Serve at 55 - 65°F
- Store at 50 - 60°F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.