This product is not currently available.
We must keep the earth healthy. The structure of the soil provides the essence of the terroir.
- Jean-Sébastien Fleury
1996 is recognized as one of the great vintages in Champagne, yet they are still “young” and wound up. What does that mean for you? You can certainly age the ’96 Fleury for years to come or dive in right now with oysters, foie, salmon, or even a juicy steak…your choice! The Fleury family relies on a century of growing experience and artisanal techniques—including an extended period of sur-lie aging on cork rather than steel cap and riddled by hand—to craft this singular champagne. Fermented in stainless steel, there is a fresh vivacity to the nose, which is layered with notes of brioche, lemon curd and zest. On the palate, a wash of tiny, sparkling bubbles belie this incredible Champagne’s well-composed richness and backbone of acidity and structure. The finish keeps going and going.
Varietals: 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Chardonnay
Nose: Layers of butter, brioche, lemon curd
Palate: Mineral component, with a lingering finish
The Fleury family has a long history of firsts. In 1901, they were the first to graft Pinot Noir vines in the region. In 1929, they were the first estate to bottle their own vintage. By 1989, they had grown their composting program into a full-fledged commitment to biodynamic methods, marking another milestone in Champagne.
Once your order is processed, your wine will be shipped ground.
We Love This With
With layers of warm butter and a fresh minerality, this Champagne is a natural companion for the Caviar Concert, which features two wild American varieties, tangy crème fraiche, and blinis. Yet, this 1996 will be a perfect Champagne to carry you through your entire meal – it has incredible structure.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, ID, IL, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- DrinkNow Through 2020
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 47 - 55 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.