This product is not currently available.
Ruth Reichl's Top 5 Wines for Summer Entertaining
This wine will get really great with age. It’s an extremely interesting, well-made wine.
- Ruth Reichl, Gilt Taste Editorial Advisor
Why to buy: With proper cellaring this very special wine can be enjoyed easily through 2021.
Nose, palate and pairing: Intensely aromatic with notes of white flowers, we love this wine for summer entertaining in the garden. Medium bodied and bright with acidity, you'll find notes of juicy peach and nectarines. No vanilla. No woodiness. Just a solid core and a wine built to last or to have right now. Drink with whole branzino stuffed with lemon and parsley or an herb-roasted chicken.
The backstory: Veliko translates loosely to “grand” or “great.” It's also the name of a special vineyard at the Movia estate, planted primarily with the local Ribolla, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio and a perimeter of Chardonnay. The grapes are picked at their individual optimal ripeness and then co-fermented over the course of three weeks. This slow process blends all three grapes together from the start, bringing together their nuances and forming a unique expression of the vineyard. From here they barrel age in new oak for about 42 months on the lees with no racking; just stirring of the lees periodically in conjunction with the lunar cycle.
Varietals: 70% Ribolla, 20% Pinot Grigio, 10% Sauvignon
Nose: Fresh peach with almond and mineral notes
Palate: Lively acidity, nectarines, taffy and nuts
The vineyards of this century-plus old estate spill across the borders of Northern Italy and Slovenia. The owner’s son, Ales Kristancic, is the winemaker. Kristancic’s application of old-school techniques combined with biodynamic philosophies have earned him a reputation as a radical and a leading light in the natural wine movement.
Once your order is processed, your wine will be shipped ground.
We Love This With
Pair this racy, full-bodied white with a well-basted turkey and sweet, herby stuffing. We also love it with roast chicken, especially when you throw in lots and lots of garlic.
You Need to Know
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age; someone 21 years or older must be present to sign on delivery.
- Products are sold by Wine.com which is the seller of record--all taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
- Products may not be resold by customers.
- In order to protect the provenance of the products during extreme weather conditions, the seller may delay shipment until better conditions exist. Neither Gilt nor the seller is responsible for those delays.
- Quantity limits may apply. You will be notified if your order cannot be completed due to any state restrictions.
- Due to state restrictions and seller’s licenses, the products shown may be shipped to the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, ID, IL, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- Customers often prefer to ship packages containing alcohol to a business address where an adult will be available.
- If the delivery date needs to be extended beyond the delivery window shown, you must notify customer service within 24 hours of your order.
- If visibly intoxicated, you will not be allowed to receive the delivery.
Use and Care
- Drink Now Through 2014
- Store at 50 - 60 F
- Serve at 47 - 55 F
Freshness and Quality Commitment
This item is final sale and non-returnable. Gilt Taste is committed to offering quality products that are fresh, honest and inspiring.